Pune is a city where you will find an excellent range of streetside shops as well as a few outstanding malls.
Colourful, reasonable, lively, and the perfect place to stretch that modest budget to its utmost. Even as you chomp on the deliciously tangy kachchi dabeli, Hong Kong Lane, on F C Road is the perfect place to spend that lonely Sunday or that early evening off from work. Redolent with the joie de vivre of youngsters and old alike, not to forget the ubiquitous Puneri spirit, Hong Kong Lane is a shopper's paradise.
From young girls trying on a range of glamorous earrings all priced most modestly to cool dudes checking out the latest in trendy bags, goggles and footwear to kiddos getting an eyeful of funky keychains, this is a place for every season and every reason.
All the places listed here are places where you can bargain hard and get some good stuff off the pavement for rock-bottom prices.
* M.G. Road. Any items such as shoes, clothing, pots, pans, electronics, stationary, furniture, kitchen sinks etc. can be found at Mahatma Gandhi Road, known to locals simply as M.G. Road. Supposedly every city in India has a street called M.G. Road.
* Laxmi Road. A very huge market selling gold jewelry and clothes.
* Tulsi Baug. Located on the Bajirao Road, near Maharashtra Bank. It is a must visit and also a favourite middle-class family market. Very cheap ladies garments, footwear and other items required for daily use are available at low prices.
* Fashion Street. Located in the Pune Camp Area near M.G. Road. A special market where you can easily bargain your way to lots of inexpensive readymade garments, footwear, leather items and fashion accessories.
* Junna Bazar. Located near the Pune Railway Station (en route to the Pune Municipal Corporation). The market is held every Wednesday and Sunday on the street. It is sort of a flea market and you could get your hands on a variety of interesting objects for throw-away prices including old rare coins, gramophone records and other such unique paraphernalia.
* Westside, I/B, Moledina Rd, Camp.
* Shoppers Stop,
Nucleus Mall, 1, Church Rd, Camp.
Godrej Eternia, B Wing, Shivaji Nagar.
* Vishal Mega Mart, 16/1/1, KPCT, Fatima Nagar.
* aLL, 256, Koncord Towers, Dhole Patil Rd.
* Big Bazaar, Fun n Shop, Solapur Rd, Fatima Nagar.
* Pantaloons, Plot D, Bund Garden, Camp.
* Giny & Jony, 256, Koncord Towers, Dhole Patil Rd.
* fabindia, Sassoon Rd.
* Ashay Complex, Pushpak Park, ITI Rd, Aundh.
* Marks & Spencer, Magnum, Moledina Rd, Camp.
* United Colors of Benetton,
2, M.G. Rd.
Magnum, Moledina Rd, Camp.
1206/B/19, J.M. Rd, Deccan Gymkhana.
* GuessJean, 231, Moledina Rd, Camp.
The mall industry in Pune is booming and quite a few good malls have begun to spring up in recent years. Shopper's Stop, Big Bazaar, Piramid, M & S and all are located inside malls.
* Nucleus, 1, Church Rd, Camp.
* Godrej Eternia, Shivaji Nagar.
* Fun n' Shop, Solapur Rd, Fatima Nagar.
* Pune Central, 256, Koncord Towers, Dhole Patil Rd.
* Runwal Plaza, 41/12, Karve Rd, Kothrud.
* City Mall, Ganesh Khind Rd.
* Lingfield Plaza, 7, Clover Centre, Moledina Rd, Camp.
* Vishal Megamart, Fatima Nagar.
* Big Bazaar, Solapur Rd, Fatima Nagar, Sinhagad Road.
* Pyramid, Pune Camp
* LifeStyle, Kalyani Nagar
Puneites are crazy about books. This shows in the number of excellent bookshops scattered throughout the city.
The area known as 'Appa Balwant Chowk' is famous for various big and small book shops. Some of them specialize in special subjects like religious books, computer books, music books etc.
The Crossword chain of bookshops has 9 branches in Pune.
* ICC Trade Towers, Senapati Bapat Rd.
* 1st floor, Sohrab Hall, RBM Cannaught Rd.
* Godrej Eternia B Wing, Shivaji Nagar.
* 1978, Convent St, Camp.
* 1277, J.M. Rd, Deccan Gymkhana.
* University Rd, Ganesh Khind.
* Supreme Centre, ITI Rd, Aundh.
* City Pride, Kothrud.
* Gold Adlabs, Kalyani Nagar.
The WORD bookshop, Boottee St, Camp.
Book World, Basement, Sagar Arcade, FC Rd.
Book Space, 593, Ganesh Peth.
Landmark, Molendina Rd, On top of Dorabjee's
Shoes Pune is a good place to pick up some Indian slippers made of rubber. Kolhapuri chappals can also be bought off the pavement. They tend to be soft and comfortable, and are manufactured in the Maharashtrian town of Kolhapur a few hundred miles south of Pune.
686, Bibewadi Rd, Mkt Yard.
Vijay Maruti Chowk, Budhwar Peth, Laxmi Rd.
Kamal Chambers, M.G. Rd.
757/A/1, Jungli Maharaj Rd, Deccan Gymkhana.
* National Shoes, 522, Paud Rd, Kothrud.
* Sai Krupa Footwear, B/8/4, Pimpri Colony.
Eat Pune is undoubtedly a great place to eat. Fergusson College Road is full of budget eateries serving delicous hot food at nominal fares. For a range of multi-cuisine restaurants, visit ABC Farms, Koregaon Park, which houses the city's best restaurants. Almost all restaurants open and close at similar hours. 10 in the morning to 11 at night is the usual. Of course, restaurant bars stay open till at least midnight.
Vohuman, 34, Sassoon Rd. An awesome Iranian place serving delicious omlets. Good for breakfast. Right next to the Jehangir Hospital.
Juice World, M.G. Rd/ East St. Serves wonderful parathas and pav bhaji.
Mathura, Sai Service Stn, J.M. Rd. Serves authentic Maharashtrian thalis and batata vada.
Durga, Paud Road. A popular joint for coffee.
Savera, Fergusson College Rd. Vegetarian restaurant.
Ande Ka Funda, Paud road. The only place for eggeterian. Serves 26 egg items.
Vaishali, 1218/1, Shivaji Nagar, Fergusson College Rd. A popular youth joint serving amazing South Indian dishes. Their Sambhar is arguably the best in the City.
Wadeshwar, Fergusson College Rd. Another popular eating place. The best fast food you will get here inlcludes appe, vada-sambhar, and pav bhaji.
Kayani Bakery, East St. Famous for its Shrewsbury biscuits, Walnut Cake and Sponge Cake, many mouth watering bakery items here disappear almost instantly over the counter.
German Bakery, 291, Vaswani Nagar, Koregaon Park. A great bakery serving healthy and wholesome sandwiches, pastries, rolls etc.
Toons, M.G. Rd. Serves burgers and has a pool table.
Coffee House, M.G. Rd. Enjoy their Channa Bhathura.
Subhadra, J.M.Road. Nice family restaurant.
Kasturi Mastani House, Warje Rd, Kothrud. Good evening place.
Kamat, Happy Colony. A good family eatery.
Durvankur, Maharashtra Mandal, Tilak Rd. Try their Marathi thali.
Sukanta , Deccan Z bridge, M.G. Rd.
Burger King has two branches and serves brilliant grilled sandwiches. Their burgers are huge, good to eat and make for a very inexpensive, sumptuous meal. However, this is not related to the international chain.
* 2394, East St.
* Lane 5, Koregaon Park.
McDonalds India joints are quite different from their global counterparts. Try the Shahi Paneer McCurry Pan or the McAloo Tikki Burger. There are 5 branches in Pune. Four of them offer McDelivery at 9522-28516666, the Kothrud branch does not.
* Suyog Plaza, Shivaji Nagar, Deccan Gymkhana.
* INOX Multiplex, Bund Garden Rd, Camp.
* Marigold Complex, Survey 15, Wadgaon Sheri, Kalyani Nagar.
* Survey 127, Karve Rd, Kothrud.
* D.P. Road, Aundh
Subway serves delicous large sandwiches. Apart from the usual ones, Subway India serves sandwiches stuffed with Haryali Chicken or Aloo Tikka.
* 917, FC Rd, Shivaji Nagar.
* North Main Rd, Koregaon Park.
* Shop 16, Mariplex, Kalyani Nagar.
Choice Panchratna Appartments ,Fatima Nagar Chowk.Dont forget to try their Paneer Butter Masala.
Baan Thai Bakers Point,NIBM Road.Pretty good variety of Prawns and Chicken preperations.
Deccan harvest magarpata city.Pretty good ambience and great food.
Mid-range Chung Fa,East Street,Value for money Chinese food - oldest Chinese restaurant in Pune,excellent chinese sizzlers.
Tc's, G4, millennium plaza, F C road, opp F C. An multi-cuisine resto lounge with a sheer difference. awesome ambience and serves everything from tea ,coffee, sheesha to mexican,italian,continental,oriental and indian food.
Nisarg, Padale Palace Chowk, Karve Rd. Good Indian fare.
Khyber, J.M. Rd, Deccan Gymkhana.
Oliva, Yatri Lodge, Karve Rd.
Soul, ABC Farms, Koregaon Park. Has fantastic food. Dishes served are from Kerala, Bengal, Italy and Mexico. There is live jazz on Saturday evenings. Locals refer to it by its former name, Jazz Garden.
George Restaurant, East St. Great food at fair prices.
Smokin' Joe's is a Mumbai-based pizza-chain with 7 branches in Pune. Their Pizzas are quite Indianized.
* D/11, Sai Heritage, Vasundhara Lawns Rd, Aundh.
* 1, Ghanshyam Apts, Dhole Patil Rd.
* 1263, Laxmi Sadan, Jungli Maharaj Rd.
* 3, Parmanand Apts, Kothrud.
* 1, Sterling Centre, M.G. Rd.
* 19/20, Lotus Court, Pune-Satara Rd.
* 1, Shivsagar Apts, Shiverkar Marg, Wanowrie.
Pizza Corner is a Chennai-based pizza chain which serves non-Indianized pizzas.
* The Hub, 332 A, North Main Rd, Koregaon Park.
* Hotel Yogi, 14/129, Plot 9, Karve Rd, Kothrud.
Domino's Pizza has three branches in the city.
* Phoenix Building, Senapati Bapat Marg.
* Plot 1, Infotech Park, Hinjawadi.
* Showroom 103, 3/1 & 3/2, Sappeire Chamber.
Arthur's Theme, Shop 2, Vrindavan, North Main Rd, Koregaon Park. This small and cosy restaurant serves excellent French food.
Coconut Grove, 408/B, Akshay Guestline, Maldhaka Chowk. Mangalorean food. Try the Chicken Gassi and Pulimunchi.
The Place, Clover Centre, 7, Moledina Rd, Camp. Best known for its ice cream, chicken and lamb sizzlers.
Abhishek, Nal Stop, Near Cummins. Famous for its lip smacking butter chicken.
Raviraj, Deccan Gymkhana, Bhandarkar road. Multicuisine restaurant serving asian and continental food.
Splurge Flags, INOX Multiplex, Bund Garden Rd, Camp. Has a very interesting menu.
Taj Blue Diamond, 11, Koregaon Rd, Koregaon Park. This Taj hotel has three restaurants and a bar.
* Coffee Shop is a 24 hour cafe which serves Indian, Continental and Italian dishes.
* Mystic Masala serves authentic Indian food.
* Whispering Bamboo is an Oriental restaurant serving Thai and Chinese cuisine.
Bombay Brasserie, City Point, Dhole Patil Rd. Continental fare.
* Kabab Factory package, Package comes in both Veg and Non-Veg formats costing Rs. 325 (approx $7.36) and Rs. 375 (approx $8.50) + taxes, respectively. Package include unlimited delicious kababs (6-7 different types), Roti, Dal, Biryani and desserts (4-5 different types to choose from) every item listed is unlimited.
Mainland China serves excellent Chinese dishes. One of the few Chinese restaurants in the country which serves authentic and non-Indianized food. The menu has a great selection of Cantonese Dim-sums.
* City Point, Dhole Patil Rd.
* Plot 403, Unit 7, ICC Tech Park, Senapati Bapat Rd.
La Pizzeria, 361, Bund Garden Rd, Camp. Has amazing Italian cuisine, and it is run by an Italian.
Pizza Express, Sohrab Hall, RBM Cannaught Rd. You must try the delicious chocolate fudge. Although it is rather expensive compared to Domino's or Pizza Corner, the pizzas are extremely authentic.
Pizza Hut, at Jangli Maharaj Road, M G Road, and several other outlets. The world-famous pizza chain.
La Dolce Vita, City Point, Dhole Patil Rd. Serves authentic cuisine from Tuscan, Italy. The menu has an extensive list of Italian wines.
Le Meridien, Mill Rd. Pune's most luxurious hotel offers numerous dining options.
* La Brasserie serves good pastries in a trendy atmosphere.
* Spice Island serves North Indian cuisine and is ideal for fine dining. There is a live band in the evenings.
* Chingari also serves Indian food, but in an open-air atmosphere.
* The Tea Lounge serves tea and snacks in a laid-back atmosphere.
The Orient, Sun n Sand, NH 4. Serves authentic Chinese food in a laid-back atmosphere with soft music in the background. Quite similar to the Whispering Bamboo in the Taj.
For variety, head out to Koregaon Park. North Main Road is a lane with more than 50 restaurants. It offers a choice of cuisine including Italian, French, Mexican, Thai, Japanese and a variety of local Indian food; there is a restaurant to fit every taste and mood. ABC farms in Koregaon Park has many restaurants at one place - ideal when you cannot decide before leaving for dinner. Koregaon Park is known as The Restaurant Suburb, and holds a similar status to Pune that Bandra holds to Mumbai.