Pune is a city located in the western Indian state of Maharashtra. Capital of Pune District and the 8th largest urban agglomeration in India with a population of 4.5 million, it is the second largest city in the state of Maharashtra. It is located roughly 150 kilometers east of Mumbai at an altitude of 560 meters above sea level. It is situated at the eastern edge of the Western ghats on the Deccan plateau.
Pune is widely considered the cultural capital of Marathi-speaking Maharashtrians.
Pune has a reputation for its several esteemed colleges and educational institutions — for this reason it is called the Oxford of the East (or 'Oxford of India'). It has a very strong presence in the automobile sector and is on its way to consolidate its position as the 'Detroit of India'too. It is now home to many software and IT companies.
Pune derives its name from Punya Nagari, or the city of virtuous deeds. Pune started out as Punya-Vishaya or Punak Vishaya — an agricultural settlement in AD 937. By the 13th century, it had come to be known as Kasbe Pune or Punavadi when under the Sultan rule. It was known alternatively as Poona by the British; but it has regained prominence as 'Pune' in the past few years.
* Pune District lies in the western region in the State of Maharashtra in India. Its bounded by Thane District to the northwest, Raigad District to the west, Satara District to the south, Solapur District to the southeast, and Ahmednagar District to the north and northeast.
* Pune district lies in the Western Ghats or Sahyadri mountain range and it extends on to the Deccan Plateau on the west.
Rivers and lakes and Dams
Major rivers of the district are: Pushpavati, Krushnavati, Kukadi, Meena, Ghod, Bhima, Bhama, Andhra, Indryani, Pavna, Mula, Mutha, Ambi, Mose, Shivganga, Kanandi, Gunjavni, Velvandi, Neera, Karha etc..
Some Major Dams are
Pimpalgaon (Pushpavati), Manikdoh,Yedgaon (Kukadi), Meena (Meena), Dimbe (Ghod), Chas-Kaman, Ujani (Bhima), ??? (Bhama), Andhra (Andhra), Valvhan (Indrayani), Pavna (Pavna), Mulshi (Mutha), Temghar, Khadakwasla (Mutha), Varasgaon (Ambi), Panshet (Mose), Chapet (Kanandi), Bhatgar (Velvandi), Devghar, Veer (Neera)
Lonavla region (Wadgaon-Maval Taluka) can be called as lake district of Maharashtra due to numerous lakes in this area viz, Bhushi, The Lonavla lake, INS Shivaji, Pavna, Valvhan, Tungarli, Andhra, Shirawta lake
However the Sahyadris and its branches offer lot of opportunity for damming the streams leading to large number of lakes in Pune district
Administratively the district is divided into 14 talukas. These are Junnar, Ambegaon, Khed, Maval, Mulshi, Velhe, Bhor, Haveli, Purandar, Pune City, Indapur, Daund, Baramati and Shirur. Pune city is the administrative headquarters of the district.
There are 18 Vidhan Sabha constituencies in this district. These are Junnar, Ambegaon, Khed-Alandi, Maval, Mulshi, Haveli, Bopodi, Shivajinagar, Parvati (SC), Kasba Peth, Bhvani Peth, Pune Cantonment, Shirur, Daund, Indapur, Baramati, Purandhar and Bhor. The 3 Lok Sabha constituencies of the district are Khed, Pune and Baramati.
Pune local area
Pune city and the twin city Pimpri-Chinchwad are the major cities in the district. Pune city is administered by the Pune Municipal Corporation while Pimpri - Chinchwad is admistered by the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation.
There are three cantonment areas in the district.
Some smaller towns in the district with Nagarpalikas or Municipal Councils are:
* Chakan or Sangramgad
* Tunga or Kathingad
* Sinhagad or Kondhana
* Torna or Prachandagad
* Purandar and Vajrangad (Rudramal)
* Sonori or Malhargad
There are many small hill forts and numerous fortified castles.
Several National Highways and State Highways criss cross Pune district. They include:
* Pune Mumbai and Pune Bangalore National Highway (NH 4)
* Pune Solapur Hydrabad National Highway (NH 9)
* Pune Nashik National Highway (NH 50)
* Mumbai Pune Express Highway
Major State Highways include
* Pune Ahmednagar Aurangabad State Highway
* Pune Alandi State Highway
* Pune Saswad Pandharpur State Highway
* Pune Paud Road State Highway
* Talegaon Chakan State Highway
* Pune Mumbai Broad Gauge double line (Central Railway)
* Pune Daund Solapur Broad Gauge double line (Central Railway)
* Daund Manmad Broad Gauge single line (Central Railway)
* Daund Baramati Lonand Broad Gauge single line (Central Railway)
* Pune Miraj Broad Gauge single line (South Central Railway)